Web Writing Tips for Beginners
Writing web articles is not the same as academic writing. People who look for information on the internet are focused on keywords and prefer writings that can be read easily and fast. It is important that you can grab their attention so they will be interested on your article. For aspiring web writers, here are some tips to help you in creating well-written articles.
- Be comfortable. An effective writings style is one that you are comfortable doing with. This means that when you write, you have to be yourself. It will allow you to easily express and organize your thoughts. Thus, writing will just be a natural thing for you.
- Use powerful titles. The first thing that your reader will see on your article is the title. You need to get the attention of your readers by being creative and playful when creating your headlines. Use a title that people are usually interested with and incorporate action verbs.
- Create Subtitles. Subtitles are summary of your writing. The reader will have an overview of what your articles is all about. This is helpful because some readers would want to scan first the content of the article so they can check if the information they are looking for is in your article.
- Be accurate. Your reader is citing on the information you provide so it is important that what you write factual. If you are sharing a story, it should be based from experience. This will show your honesty and sincerity as a writer.
- Use simple words. A writer's goal is to convey his message to his readers. Using simple words is recommended since your readers are internet users which can be anyone (young, adult, professionals, student etc.). However, if you are writing for a particular audience, then you need to use words that match with your intended readers.
- Be concise. Organize your thoughts in short sentences as much as possible. Eliminate unnecessary words or phrases without changing the original meaning of your writing. People, who use internet to look for information, prefer easy-to-understand articles. A good writing has few words but meaty sentences.
- Always proofread. It is a good habit to check what you wrote before submitting or uploading it to websites. Make necessary corrections if you happen to see a grammar, spelling or punctuation error. If the website has set a style guide, ensure that your writing is formatted accordingly.
- Be resourceful. You can use the internet to look for inspiration on your writing. Check out the websites of good writers and read their articles. They can provide you an idea on how they become successful and make it as your guide. You can also subscribe to websites that provides writing tutorials to enhance your skills.
Now you can start writing an article by applying the tips discussed above. Remember to have passion on what you do to make your journey an enjoyable one!