Training Your Yorkshire Terrier – 7 Tips For Training Your Yorkie To Learn New Commands
Yorkshire terriers can be quite stubborn when you are trying to train them. My Yorkie does not listen and can become quite defiant when I am working with her. I previously owned a Yorkie and had the same problem. This time around I have learned more about Yorkshire terriers and dogs in general and I want to share what I have learned. Here are 7 tips on how to train your Yorkshire terrier.
- Work with your dog every day. Yorkies have a short memory and attention span, similar to that of a small child. If you skip a day of training she will forget what she has already learned.
- Use treats as a reward when your Yorkie does what you are trying to teach her to do. That way she will know what is expected of her and be motivated to please you.
- Speak in a firm tone when reprimanding her. She will know by the tone of your voice that she has done something that is not acceptable.
- Allow for lots of playtime between training sessions. Your Yorkie will learn faster if she is allowed to stretch her legs and play in between sessions.
- Train your Yorkie when it is just the two of you. Other people or animals are too much of a distraction. Allow her to focus on you and your voice.
- Teach only one command at a time. Wait until she has mastered a command completely before beginning to teach her a new one.
- Use the same exact wording for each command you teach. If you want your Yorkie to sit, then only use the word sit. If you say sit down or anything else she will become confused and not know what to do. Think back to when you were trying to learn a new language. One word can change the meaning of a sentence and you may have difficulty figuring out what is the correct way to say something. It is the same for your Yorkie. She will try to figure out what you want, so keep it simple with one word or a short phrase.
If you follow these 7 tips your Yorkie will learn as many commands as you wish to teach her. If you want to learn more about how to train your Yorkie or other small breed dog it is a good idea to ask others for help.