Top 12 Strategies – How To Find Your Path In Life
In order to answer the question “how to find your path in life”, first of all I’d like to clarify that finding your path in life is different AND MORE IMPORTANT than finding your purpose in life… When people talk or explore finding their purpose in life a lot of them have ideas on their purpose, but they don’t know where to start. Or a lot of other people make passion lists, do’s and dont’s list but they still are not able to find their purpose. Or people question themselves “is this what I am supposed to be doing”?
And then once you want to take action to find your purpose in life, another big challenge that most people have when making changes in life is “fear”. For example “fear” of making the wrong choice, fear of not being good enough, fear of failure and so on. This fear may result in pain, embarrassment, confusions and of course we don’t want that.
However, when you focus on how to find your path in life… the mind is less fixated on how things “should be” and certain outcomes. You see, when you focus on your purpose you want it to be perfect, you want to be an expert at what you do, you want to work for the best company, you want to work every day with passion… but when you focus on how to find your path in life you are not focused on an outcome and so the barrier for change, the barrier for perfection and to be good enough and to be accepted is less challenging, there is less pressure and less fear. So there is less resistance for change…
When you focus on how to find your path in life, your purpose will then evolve over time and your purpose will come out of finding your path… this is the missing key that many personal development guru’s and teachers forgot to tell you.
All too often personal development gurus talk about finding your purpose in life, and here’s the thing you don’t need to find it, “you need to focus on how to find your path in life” and that will lead you to your purpose… make sense?
There are basically 4 types of people searching for how to find your path in life
One: I don’t have a clue, I never thought about it, I don’t know, I don’t care, life purpose and path is BS
Two: I’ve heard about it, I’m confused, lost, insecure, I want to find it but I don’t know how
Three: I’ve made actions to find my path and purpose but I’m still struggling, I don’t know how to make the right choices how come I’m still not happy, is this where I am supposed to be
Four: I’m on my path in life and my purpose is evolving as I grow older, I am contributing and giving back, while never stop learning on the life journey..
Which group do you belong to?
Here are 12 strategies that can help you answer the question “how to find your path in life”
1. There is always uncertainty… so learn to be comfortable with it. There is no right or wrong choice, there is only a choice… so make the choice you believe will lead you to your life path. How? Use your intuition and gut feeling.
2. Patience, you can NOT speed up your finding your path and your purpose in life… you can only cultivate your purpose which is like you give water to a flower. So focus on your path and overtime your purpose will reveal itself. TIP: use your Monk Intuition when you make decisions
3. Combine your passions, one of my friends is 7 times Canadian Kayaking Champion, Executive Coach, Speaking Coach and developed a painting technique as an artist called “Painting Without a Brush”… she doesn’t chose one purpose, she’s simply on her path in life and her purposes will evolve overtime
4. Connect the dots on your life journey to see your path more clearly (what major studies, interests and experiences you have had that leads you to where you are today). How can you use those talents and experience to cultivate something new
5. Experiment! When I started public speaking 7 years ago I didn’t know who would be my right audience, in which part of the world, and how large they would be. It is only through speaking in front of different groups, universities, fortune 500 companies, high school students, different group sizes from 100’s to 10 that I learned that leaders and high achievers is the best audience for me in both speaking and mentoring.
6. Be aware that for some of you, your path in life does not exist yet! Everyone’s path is unique of course. Now what do I mean by that? It’s possible that no one has walked the path that is destined for you. For example, you are born to do something unique to develop a new technology that does not exist, to develop a new clothing line, to become the first person on mars. The point I’m trying to make is that it’s hard if you don’t have a reference point in the external world and you feel you’re alone and not sure about your path. That’s OK. One step at a time daily will get you there, follow your Monk intuition… don’t focus on your purpose, focus on your finding your path in life (In my case I have a path that didn’t exist: I’m an introvert, doing public speaking, teaching about spirituality in life towards businesses moving to China… there are so many contradictions in my life and figuring it out has been a long process. And it’s my path in life that led me to my purpose in life which is now helping people find their path in life (ironic).
7. Learn to trust that the right people will come in the right way for the right reason. When I published my first 7 years ago a coach came after my talk and she offered free public speaking to me, exactly what I needed
8. Stop looking at other people and the external world, no one can tell you what your path in life is, you need to figure it out, each day one step at a time. Take action and let life take it’s own flow. This is how you cultivate…
9. Pay Attention to the little voice inside your head. What keeps coming back to you? What are you saying to yourself consciously and subconsciously about what you should be doing with your life? Once you identify and make it specific, take one small action to get closer to that goal.
10. Go and volunteer in a cause that is important for you. Finding your path in life is figuring out which elements in the outside world connect with your inner world.
11. Learn to become an observer of yourself. Sometimes we are too much caught up in our minds because of email, our phone, TV. Take a step back and simply reflect on your day. What did work for you today? What didn’t work? What inspired me? What new thoughts came up?
12. And finally if you look at the news today and the worldly problems? How can you help become the world a better place? What is your gift?
Take some time to reflect on these strategies and insights.
In a nutshell, how to find your path in life is simply done by following your heart and intuition. The external world and business, marketing, sales and making money is driven by the Suit or mind, when finding your path, don’t use your mind, use your heart, have trust and faith in life… this is how you align both your internal and external self.
There are people who live their life only based on goals and expectations, that’s not where you want to go. It’s OK to be successful but if that’s not in line with who you are you will not be happy, you will burnout and feel lonely. You want to live a life true to yourself and that is to find YOUR way… the way of your heart, all you need to do is to learn to listen.
The journey of life is the journey towards self-realization, in order to close that gap you need to close the gap between your external world your SUIT and your internal world your MONK and finding your path is one way of doing so…