Tips For Building Self Esteem
Self esteem can be described as a person’s enduring personality trait reflecting his overall self-worth. Self esteem is all about how a person values, loves and accepts himself. Building self esteem and self confidence is the key for happiness and enables to live life to the full.
Below are certain tips that can help in building self esteem.
1. Negative thoughts result in low self belief and low self esteem. It is important to keep the mind away from any negative thoughts. This can be done by simply writing down at least ten aspects that can bring cheer on the face. One needs to think about his positive aspects whenever any negative thoughts occur in the mind.
2. Another way of building self esteem is to make affirming lists. Some of these include making a list of at least five personality strengths like persistence, courage and creativity, making a list of five things that one likes about himself, list of five greatest achievements in life, list of accomplishments and a list of ten activities that can make one feel good about himself.
3. One can also make a list of 10 methods by which he/she desires to be treated or rewarded so as to relax the mind. Some examples include walking in the woods, playing with children in the playground, watching children play, enjoying beautiful scenery, admiring the beauty of a baby’s face or a flower or chatting with a friend. Any of these help in creating a sense of happiness in the mind. One can also include a list of 10 things that can be done by him/her with the objective of helping others.
4. One has to aim for accomplishments instead of looking to perfect an activity.
5. Mistakes and errors are bound to happen in any task. One needs to accept this fact and try to learn from his mistakes. It is not advisable to lose self esteem due to mistakes. Reminding this fact constantly can be beneficial in building self esteem.