Self Esteem – 10 Tips to Building Superior Confidence For Success
A lot of people, including me, have struggled with low self – esteem at one stage of their lives or another. That lack of confidence can cause a person to perform below standard, even whilst doing the things that he is good at. The reason could be a low self – evaluation or thoughts of not being good enough or that somebody else can do it better. Lack of confidence results in failed examinations, interviews or even auditions. The best candidate does not always win. The modestly – gifted one may take the cup home if he faces a less – confident opposition. I wish to share ten things from some of my experiences that helped me in building my confidence.
1. I have learned that whatever I do I must do it badly with enthusiasm until I have learned how to do it well. Then I proceed with confidence to do far much better.
2. Self – esteem does not come from positive self- talk only but it also derives from taking positive action that is contrary to what others may believe to be true about you.
3. I refer to a time when I was in high school and I loved to sing but I would always do a terrible job and I’d be criticized, laughed at and mocked by my peers. I discovered many years later that it was not the lack of talent but a lack of confidence.
4. I always strive to be a top performer in any domain or activity I choose to participate. Over the years I have refused to allow anyone to classify me, define me or compare me to somebody else. I have gained confidence through experience and there is no replacement for a tough mental attitude and experience that comes through repetition.
5. Popular talent shows that are beamed on television worldwide may be responsible for exposing the talent of exceptionally gifted young people, but it is my opinion that they have destroyed others in the process, who lacked in confidence. Some of the criticism does nothing to edify or encourage the one who has more passion than talent and needs an extra “push”.
6. You need courage to be confident. Courageous, daring people did not become like that overnight. They risked being made a fool of a number of times by doing what nobody else had done and continued to do what they believed in. The great inventors of our time were not confident neither were they sure that they were going to succeed, but they had the wherewithal to withstand criticism and forge ahead until they succeeded.
7. The fact that I write and speak doesn’t mean that I had all the confidence I have when I began my career, but I invested time and energy and sacrifice working on my charisma, proficiency and presentation and seeking the advice of wiser men and women and now I walk with confidence in my step and boldness.
8. The most intimidating thing about being a salesperson is rejection from customers. Some people are so negative that they have to say “no” seven times before they say yes so you keep asking for the order. When you have built your confidence levels you will be able to understand that you are not the object of their rejection but it is the product or proposition that is being thrown out.
9. Knowing who I am in the grand scheme of things as a child of God has given me the knowledge that there is a place of assignment for me in the world and I have discovered it and I occupy it with confidence.
10. Building superior confidence is not about esteeming yourself more highly than you ought but it means you are secure enough in who you are to humble yourself and love your neighbor as yourself.
I believe you have what it takes to build superior confidence for your success.