Potty Training Boys – 7 Sure Fire Ways To Mess Up
There is no doubt getting out of diapers marks a milestone in any child’s development. Do not make potty training boys any harder than it needs to be.
1. Starting potty training without the necessary communication skills
Solution: wait until your little boy understands simple instructions and knows the words associated with using a potty. Start a daily pre-potty training routine that teaches your child these developmental skills.
2. Other carers using different training techniques
Solution: agree in advance a toilet training program all carers will follow otherwise you just confuse the child.
3. Showing displeasure when accidents happen
Solution: face facts, accidents will happen. Disapproval or punishment only increases the likelihood of future accidents or physiological issues. Learn to count to ten and smile. Watch the tone of your voice. Use training pants.
4. Pushing your child too hard leading to stress and constipation
Solution: work out a strategy that makes potty training fun for you and your little boy. Think about teaching a boy doll to potty train and using wallcharts and stickers.
5. Inadequate fiber in diet leading to painful bowel movements
Solution: ensure lots of fresh fruit and vegetables in diet. Increase intake of fluids, especially water. Do not start potty training if child is constipated.
6. Not setting aside sufficient time for toilet training
Solution: block off a weekend or a few days. Give child and potty training the focus and attention they deserve.
7. Starting potty training when your little boy is stressed
Solution: wait until any emotional issue has been resolved. Waiting a few weeks or months is better than adding to your child’s stress.