Make Your Own Beats – 10 Easy Tips For Beginners
These days, you do not need a professional studio anymore to make your own beats. There are many computer programs that allow you to create your own beat. But only few will give you a real good beat, not the typical "computer beat" you are tired of. So, forget about free kits that you can download on the internet – you will not be able to create a great beat on a lame, free program. Get a music sequencer like Sonic Producer and start making great beats. It's worth it. Just in case you did not know – some producers make from $ 10,000 to $ 100,000 for a beat. Before I get to the 10 tips how to make your own beats, here is the most important tip: Try to keep it simple – great things are always simple. Too many samples, crazy combinations etc. will only scare off listeners. So, without further chitchat, here are the 10 Easy Tips to make your own beats:
1) Identify what kind of beat you want to create. A beat designed for a hip hop song is different from a techno-beat. Target your audience.
2) Focus on the drums. Most great songs have outstanding drums.
3) Layer your beat. Fill in some gaps. Use percussion loops that supplement the initial loop. But make sure it fits.
4) Heighten the loop with single snare samples.
5) Do not rely on (funny) samples.
6) Play the kick on a separate channel so there are no effects on the beat. Compress the kick so it fits to your other loops.
7) Fix bad loop points.
8) Compare your beat to great ones.
9) Experiment! Listen to different kind of music.
10) Make your own rules!
Finally, if you do not have a music sequencer yet and are looking for a cheap one with an outstanding sound quality, I can only recommend Sonic Producer