How to Get Your House Ready For Last Minute Showings
When waiting for your home to sell, you have to be ready at a moment’s notice to show your house to eager buyers. This is very difficult while you are still living in the house. You may not always have much notice before a showing. Here are some tips on how to get your house ready based on how much time you have to prepare for those last minute showings.
24 Hours Before:
– When your house goes on the market, it is no longer the time to start big projects or cook elaborate meals. You want your home to only require a quick tidying before a showing. Cook a few meals at a time so that you can easily put them in the microwave and you won’t need to dirty the stove and counter tops. It is also good to use paper plates during this time so you don’t need to wash as many dishes.
– Have under bed storage boxes that you can easily throw toys and extra items in.
– Do a quick cleaning of all rooms; take a plastic bag around to each room and try to get rid of at least three things from each room.
– Keep your regularly used toiletries in storage containers that can be quickly tucked from the counter to the bathroom cupboard. The counter top will look neat and clean up will be a breeze.
– Vacuum, dust and wipe down all hard surfaces.
– Try to do a few loads of laundry so that it is not piling up in the laundry room.
2-3 Hours Before:
– Take out the garbage.
– Make the beds.
– Put out new towels.
– Vacuum crumbs and dirt.
– Wipe down counters and appliances.
– Open windows to freshen the air quality.
20 Minutes Before:
– Give each family member a room to tidy, make sure all garbage is thrown out, beds are made and counters and appliances are wiped down.
– Put toilet seats down and stash personal products out of sight.
– Open curtains and blinds.
– Turn on lights.
– Tuck away pet toys and supplies. Take your pets with you when you leave.