How to Get Started Building an Internet Presence
Building an Internet presence can be overwhelming and challenging. There are so many questions and options to consider. Furthermore, there are what seems to be a never-ending number of people presenting themselves as experts and offering you advice on how to build an effective and profitable Internet presence. So how do you get started and avoid distractions? Here are ten words of wisdom you can use to get started building an effective Internet presence and in developing a YOU brand.
1. Create a personal website featuring you with your picture and contact information and offer true value and content. Include your logo and any motto you have developed for you and your business. Make it very clear that this website is for the purpose of selling YOU.
2. Register yourname.com if it is available. If not add an initial or use your full middle name or your maiden name if necessary. This is crucial for developing your brand. Furthermore, once you start making contacts online people will out of curiosity visit yourname.com to see more about you and to see if you have set up anything there.
3. Develop a clear plan for how you build your Internet presence and develop your online brand. There are many ways to do this and you need to decide which one is the best for you. Some questions to ask yourself regarding this include: What is my budget for going online? How much time do I have? What online methods do I want to use? How much do I already know about doing business online? The answers to these questions will help you determine and develop a clear plan. This plan also must be written and include specific steps to take.
4. What are your goals for your online presence? Are you planning to brand yourself online but make most of your sales off line? Or Are you planning to both brand yourself and make most of your sales online? It is critical that you know the answer to this, as there are differences in how you run your business for each option.
5. Who is your target market? When getting started building an Internet presence too often people assume that their target market is everyone or anyone who happens to come across their website. This could not be further from the truth. Establishing a clear YOU brand requires you to choose a specific target market and to focus on reaching the people within it. While you can have several niches within the same market you can not target everyone who is online. If you are taking a business you already have off line, online, then I recommend beginning with the same target market online that you are targeting off line.
6. Set up in place the proper systems to build a list and make money while developing your YOU Brand. An autoresponder opt-in box offering a free report or newsletter and some kind of payment system are two Crucial Elements that you must have in place from the first day.
7. Consider hiring a virtual assistant or some other professional to help you figure out exactly what you need to set up and what you need to do during your first 90 days online to achieve your goals and to make the most of your time.
8. Develop a plan for the first 90 days of working and developing your online brand and work that plan.
9. After 90 days, evaluate your plan and actions. Did you get the results you were hoping for? If not, then you must assess what went wrong and what went right. Ask yourself specific questions and answer them clearly.
10. Make adjustments as needed to your target market, website, marketing and anything else you feel is needed to increase your online success and internet presence and brand.
Follow these steps and you will be well on your way to establishing an internet presence that will grow and produce increasingly better results over time.