Email Marketing Do’s and Don’ts
Despite the opinion that email is a dying marketing tool it remains a highly powerful means of marketing and advertising. After all email is the most used method of communication, and research reveals that open rates in 2009 were up 18% from 2008. However, as with every online marketing effort for it to be really successful it must be well planned with good measuring tools in place and integrated with other marketing efforts.
How do you create an effective email marketing campaign?
1. Use an effective email list, however, be aware of where the data has came from and whether you have permission to use the data. Certain legislation exists to give consumers rights and protect them from the misuse of their personal data.
2. Acknowledge your subscribers, don’t wait until the next time to you send a newsletter send new subscribers a welcome email letting them know that they are being acknowledged.
3. Make your emails relevant and above all interesting, if subscribers have signed up for a specific newsletter or topic don’t veer away from it. Similarly if sending a sale email keep it short, sweet and to the point.
4. Include calls to actions within the email directing people to complete a specific action, be it purchasing something on your website, donating to your cause or visiting your social media profiles.
6. Don’t spam, do not spam your recipients by sending them multiple emails in a short space of time. Similarly use a spam checker to ensure that the words you are using are not ‘spammy’ so the email is not caught in the persons spam filter.
7. Within your email you must provide the recipient with an option to unsubscribe from your recipients list, it is the law.
8. Avoid telling subscribers to not reply to your email, it makes the email impersonal and discourages interaction.
10. Always measure the success of your email campaign, there are plenty of email marketing tools out there that will measure open and click through rates, similarly analytics tools can usually measure the number of visitors directed from an email and/or if you choose to hire a professional agency to compose and send your email then they should provide you with a full report on its success, 360innovate provide email marketing Glasgow.