Email Marketing – Dealing With Undeliverable Emails
In consulting with individuals over the last few years in helping them to get started in email marketing, one of the common complaints is that the email addresses are bad. The truth is, there are several factors that go way beyond whether an email address is valid or not. You can have perfectly good emails get bounced or not delivered. Just because an email comes back does not mean the email address is bad. And, just because an email doesn’t come back doesn’t mean it was good. In email marketing, there are several factors that can cause a good email address not to be delivered.
1) The subject line of your email. The words in the subject line of your email can cause a filter to trigger and block your email.
2) The content of your email can have trigger words and phrases that can cause an email to get blocked.
3) Links and website addresses can trigger filters to block emails.
4) Too many emails going out from the same IP address in a short period of time can trigger filters. In fact, this can get you black listed quickly and decrease any future email deliverability rates.
5) Other people who may be sharing the same “C-class” of your IP address can cause emails to be blocked if there is a negative history in that C-Class.
6) Many ISP’s will only allow a certain number of emails from one IP address in a period of time and will block all the others.
7) The places you are linking to could be seen as a “bad neighborhood” by some ISP’s and will block emails from getting to their customers.
I could continue to list dozens more reasons. It is not uncommon to lose half of one’s emails, and based upon my experience, invalid email addresses make up less than 10% of the reasons why an email is never delivered.
There is something else to consider. Email marketing requires a different mindset than other types of marketing. More than any other type of marketing, it is a numbers game. It is the same with direct mail (post cards and letters) and phone leads. There will be a certain percentage of returned letters or bad phone numbers. That is just a reality. With those types of leads, that percentage should be lower, but it exists none-the-less. There is no perfect list.
In email marketing, there is a system that is in place to work against you – much more so than direct mail or phone calling. Just the seven items I listed above should prove that, and there are many more. With all of the technology that has gone into spam filters, there are also other layers of filters that you don’t see. If you have certain keywords and phrases in your emails, they are given a score. If an email score is above a certain number, the email will bounce. And it’s different for every ISP.
With email marketing, you find the experienced marketers focusing on what is getting through and the hits to your website, not upon what is not getting delivered. Yes, you want to decrease the undeliverables, but it is just a reality that you will lose leads. And, that number can change from day to day, and person to person.
Email marketing is still a very effective way to build an MLM business. Some of the top associates in any given network marketing company have built their business using email marketing as one of their primary means of recruiting new associates. Do not believe the person who says it is “easy.” It does require work, testing, and more testing so that you can increase deliverability, open rates, click throughs, and ultimately conversions.