Class Reunion Theme – 7 Tips For A Blast From The Past Theme For Your High School Reunion Party
Are you looking for a great theme to build excitement for your class reunion party? Then pull out all the stops by giving your former classmates the total blast from the past experience. Here are seven tips to accelerate their enthusiasm and create a memorable event.
1. Send nostalgic class reunion save the date cards. Establish your theme right from the start with these attention-grabbing announcements. Choose a design that includes a photo of the old school. Prom and graduation pictures are also good. Any photograph from their glory days can be used to make your classmates homesick for high school.
You could also use trivia to inspire memories. It could be a list of interesting historical events for your graduating year. Or you might make it more personal, using things that happened in your school. You could mention the class president, prom king and queen, school motto, popular places to hang out after class and statistics from your sports teams for that year
2. Bring back the old fashions. Ask your guests to dress for the event like it was the year of their graduation. Whether it’s bobby-socks, bell-bottoms or disco dresses, wearing those clothes will bring their minds back to a different time. It’s also serves as an ice breaker to spark conversations. Award a prize for the best costume at the reunion
3. Create the atmosphere of your school year. Decorate your reunion party with as many props you can find from that era. For example, if you graduated in the late 1960’s, you could use lava lamps and peace signs as centerpieces and tie-dyed tablecloths. Look for memorabilia from the decade of your graduation. It can be anything from common household products to album covers. Every member of the committee should join in the search to track down these fun conversation pieces.
If you have trouble locating an item, you can substitute a photo. Make collages with pictures of things that were hot in your graduating year. What were the hit movies at that time? Hang some of those classic movie posters and it will stir more memories. And of course, have a display table with all the high school relics from trophies to team jerseys. Add school newspapers, an old gym suit, pictures and anything else you can find.
4. Give them a taste of the past. Was there a popular burger joint or pizza place back in your high school days? If they are still in business, you might ask if they could cater your event. Or you could offer regular menu items with servers dressed up like cafeteria ladies dishing out the food. Another idea is to place bowls of old-fashioned candy at each table that everyone remembers from their teens.
5. Play all the hits. Do the research and find the all top songs for your graduating year. Try to remember the songs that were played at your prom. Compile a list of music you want to include and give it to the DJ or band. The right songs will bring back a flood of memories to your former classmates. It will get them on the dance floor and it will get them talking.
6. Take a trip down memory lane. Arrange for a tour of your old high school. Put together a power-point presentation featuring high school photos contributed in advance by former classmates. Play a trivia game matching song titles to recording artists from your graduating year..
7. Give class reunion favors that boost reminiscing. The right favors will inspire conversations at the event. They will also serve as keepsakes to stir memories in the future. You could select something like personalized magnets, bookmarks or notebooks with a photo of your high school that features prices, top songs, TV shows and winners in film and sports from the year you graduated. Another possibility is to give a CD with hit songs from your graduating year. Or you could always go with a favor tin filled with that retro candy topped with a picture of your school.
Of course, your former classmates will get to reminiscing at your class reunion, no matter what you do. But if you want to kick it into high gear, then a blast from the past theme is the way to go. Follow these seven tips and you’ll be creating new memories that last a lifetime.