Building a List – 10 Things You Should and Shouldn’t Do
Building a list is what many may consider is the number one thing you should be doing while working online. So many marketers have quit their jobs and gone on to make well into the six and seven figure mark simply because building a list of subscribers was on the top of the “to do” list.
What I’m offering today is just a small portion of things that you should and shouldn’t be doing while building a list for your online business.
HERE ARE THINGS YOU SHOULD DO
1. Do… Offer something for free in exchange for a name and email. By offering something away for free, you have the chance to keep promoting to them time and time again. This will increase your chances of making a sale.
2. Do… Include some sort of story or personal experience in the emails that you send. People don’t like to be sold to but like to come to a conclusion that what you have will benefit them in some way or relieve them of pain.
3. Do… Take the time to personalize each email by using the automation of an autoresponder. You can easily include each persons name simply by placing some code throughout the message. When people feel like you are personally speaking to them, chances are better at making the sale.
4. Do… Take the time to track the messages you send and your click through ratio. If you track your emails you can see when the best time to send them is and how likely they are opened. Most people don’t use the special functions that their autoresponder has and miss out on key information that can boost open rates and sales.
5. Do… Segment your list into those who opened and those who didn’t. You can break your list down this way and send a more personal email to those who didn’t open and even to those who opened but didn’t click on the affiliate link. Spending a little bit of time on this will double your earnings without increasing you list size.
HERE ARE THINGS YOU SHOULDN’T DO
6. Don’t… Send them offer after offer or else they will unsubscribe. If you continue to provide value and occasionally give things away for free, they will likely stay on your list for quite some time giving you more opportunities to make a sale.
7. Don’t... Make up stories or lie just to make an interesting story. People don’t like being lied to and your goal is to make people know, like, and trust you. It’s not worth it just for a sale to lie.
8. Don’t… Email people multiple times a day. If you are overbearing and people see tons of email from you right off the bat, then they will likely unsubscribe from your list and worse yet, report it as spam.
9. Don’t… Assume people know what you are talking about. Most sales copy for products are written at a 5th grade reading level so always assume that you need to explain everything in very basic words and terms. Make sure your emails are related to what they signed up for.
10. Don’t… Give the reader tons of options. When you put links to multiple items or services, it only confuses the whole process. Only give them one offer link in the email and use the link about three times during the message. The less options, the better.
There are plenty more things that you should and should not do when building a list but these above are very important. Building a list requires time and patience. As long as you focus on providing value and service to prospects first, the money will come. Those who rush it will get frustrated and quit.
By building a list of subscribers, you not only learn great business skills but gain the means to be able to pretty much print money on demand any time you like. This is what the gurus do and they constantly find ways to not only provide value but also different ways to get them to sign up to their list in the first place.
If you are struggling while building a list, there are many resources online about different methods and software that can help in speeding up the process. Start to pay attention to how people try to get you to enter your name and email the next time you spend some time online. I find that if I take notes while going through the sign up process, I usually find some new methods that I haven’t thought about before.
Good luck in building a list because it is definitely worth it in the long run as it’s helped hundreds of thousands of people to be able to afford the life they have always wanted.