Blogging Tips For Beginners
You may already have a blog or want to start a new blog so here are blogging tips starting from choosing the blog name (domain name). Please read following 25 blogging tips to build better blog.
Following are Blogging tips useful before starting a new blog or writing new post. These are important for search engine optimization.
1) First do the keyword research for the blog topic / subject. Finding popular keywords related to your blog or your post topic is must. You will need at least 2-3 keywords to be used in blog title and around 10 keywords for post titles to start with.
2) Try to use the keywords in domain name, blog title, post title, post content, hyper link, ALT tag, TITLE tag etc.in a natural way.This will help you to get higher search engine rankings.
3) Try to limit no. of your labels / categories around 20. Use tag cloud or label cloud if you want to save space. If you have many topics on one blog try to regroup and relabel. If completely different topics are mixed on one blog and has sufficient no. of posts for each topic then start new blog for that topic.
4) Do not copy old posts of a blog on new blog.You can get penalized for duplicate content.You need to remove old copy from the search engine and then add same post at new blog.
5) Use post title optimization widget on this blog for blogger / blogspot blog so that you get better search engine ranking. WordPress bloggers can use plugin like All in one SEO for meta tag and title optimization.
Following are blogging tips related to look and content of the blog.
6) The look and layout of the blog should be nice, neat and beautiful so that it can create good impression on the visitor and he should feel to stay more and visit again. Content quality should also be good for this.
7) Navigation and layout should be such that visitor should be able to find the recent posts, labels very easily. So if Recent posts and Labels are near top of side bar it will be visible in first screen of the blog and the visitor will have a quick idea of ??what the blog is about and can jump to its topic of interest quickly.
8) Use pictures, images wherever possible to make your post colorful and attractive. Do picture / image optimization as described in my earlier post. No need to use large images, you can use medium to small images.
9) Loading time of the blog should not be very long or visitor will run away before the page opens. So keep check on what widgets / code you are installing and does it slows down the loading. If you are loading pictures, make sure that the file size is not big.
Do not use BMP files, you can use jpg, png files. Also check image size. You can do all this using photoshop. As sometimes images load slower than external sources, check that also.
Blogging tips related to writing and visitors
10) Write your post after proper research and gathering total information. Do not write too long. Use grouping, paragraph, sub titling for arranging the information in post body.
11) Writing language should be easy to understand and wherever possible write in humorous way. If visitor enjoys your post he will come back.
12) Give links to useful resources related to your topic. Also give links to your earlier posts with proper anchor text wherever possible. This improves internal linking of your blog.
13) Encourage the reader to participate / comment. You can also run some contest or survey on your blog and keep some prize for that.
14) Use beautiful and professional looking theme / template and header image for your blog. There are many free templates available so you can easily get one suitable to your blog. Choose 3 column template which uses full 1024 X 768 resolution.This gives you more space.
15) The font color and size should be such that blog should be readable in different screen resolution. Other blogging tips to increase readers and revenue.
16) Burn your feed at feedburner and provide subscribe via email facility for your RSS feed.
17) Check your blog visibility and feed in different browser.Especially in internet explorer and Firefox.
18) Try to increase your RSS feed subscriber and use AdSense for feed to display Google AdSense on the feed.
19) Use Google AdSense or other advertisements in post body, right hand side bar and below the header. Use AdSense link unit with labels or links or below header. Match background color of AdSense with blog or post background color.
20) Read my post on blog traffic tips to build traffic from sources other than search engine.
Following are precautionary blogging tips
21) There should not be many outgoing links (pointing to other websites / blogs) in the post or side bar. Remove unnecessary outgoing links. Place all outgoing links near bottom of right hand side bar or footer.
22) Do not buy or sell links for link building.
23) If paid posts are required for you keep it minimum or have separate website / blog for paid posts or articles.
24) As said above do not write same same again again (duplicate content). Do not edit old post titles and content for search engine optimization.
25) Do not have METATAGS only for main home URL of blogger blog, as it will be used for all the post and you will get duplicate metatag error in Google webmaster tools. You are also misguiding and confusing search engine by having the same meta tag for all posts. So you can use script / widget which can give different METATAGS to individual posts. WordPress blogger can have METATAG for individual post by using All in one SEO plug-in.