Blogging Basics For Your Chiropractic Practice
A blog, which is a short description of web log, is a type of website often maintained by an individual that contains information in the form of posts (short pieces of information) that are organized according to categories and contain dates indicating when the posts were published. One noteworthy component of blogging is that a blog usually allows people to post comments about a blog post making this Internet medium highly interactive.
Blogging has grown at an astounding rate. According to one estimate, there are seventy million blogs in the world and blogging is growing geometrically.
Why would you want to have a blog for your chiropractic practice? There are many reasons including the fact that blogging:
· Allows your patients a way to interact with you on the Internet
· Can help improve your search engine ranking. That’s because the search engines love and pay attention to new content. Since most blogs publish new posts on an ongoing basis, the search engines pay attention to blogs in terms of search engines.
· Provides an easy platform for publishing information. Posting to blogs requires little technical expertise permitting any chiropractor to make daily entries in their blog.
· Can be free. There are many blogging platforms you can use the build your content. Some of the more popular blogging platforms include wordpress, blogger (owned by Google) and Squidoo. With these platforms, you don’t have to pay a monthly hosting fee and access is free.
· Provides many free plug-ins. Plug-ins are components of a blog you can easily and simply add to the blog. WordPress has more plug-ins than any other blogging platform. Examples of plug-ins that the WordPress community supplies includes:
– Traffic tracking plug-ins such as those that work with Google Analytics
– Plug-ins that control the “look and feel” of a web site
– Publish scheduling plug-ins. With this type of plug-in you can prepare content in advanced and the plug-in posts the content on a specified day. The advantage of this plug-in is that it helps assure that posts will occur consistently over time. This consistency is important in terms of getting good search engine ranking.
– Contact form plug-in allows visitors to your blog to leave their name and email address for such purposes as subscribing to your blog and getting notified each time you publish a new post to your blog
– Social media linking plug-ins which allow visitors to your blog to comment on and link to the blog from other social media sites like Squidoo, Wetpaint
In deploying a blog for your business, you first need to decide if you will host the blog yourself or use a free platform such as Blogger. I recommend you host your own blog and use WordPress (free) as your blogging platform. This gives you the most control and access to a variety of free plug-ins.
If you don’t yet have a blog to promote your chiropractic practice you should seriously consider deploying one because of the added Internet exposure you’ll get for your practice.