7 Easy Suggestions for Celebrating National Book Blitz Month in January
How many times have you started reading a book with all good intentions of completing it within a timely manner, yet only to find that you have bookmarked a page and forgotten to pick the book back up in weeks or sometimes months? It’s time to rededicate yourself to completing a book or two as we celebrate National Book Blitz Month in January.
Here are 7 simple tips for getting into the swing of the celebration:
1. Set a book-reading goal on how many books you want to read this month. If you are only trying to read one, take the number of pages in the book, divide it by the number of days in the month, then commit to reading at least that number of pages per day. If you can read more than the designated number of pages, the quicker you will get through the book.
2. Begin a personal library. Start by collecting books that you love to read. Gradually add reference books and other genres to give your reading routine versatility. Library book sales and garage sales are some good places to find inexpensive books to add to your collection.
3. Confer with writing groups, book clubs or publishers’ lists of recommended reads to find books that you would be interested in reading and adding to your collection.
4. Get a reading accountability buddy who will help you to stay on track of your set reading goals. You will reciprocate by doing the same thing for them. Having a partner will help you stay committed and hold you accountable for your reading goals.
5. Book swapping is another great idea to help save money on purchasing so many. If you have friends or family who enjoy reading, you can swap out a book or two with them.
6. Attend area book and poetry readings during the month. Mingle with other attendees as well as with the author at these events.
7. Tap into the best format that you enjoy reading books. Whether it’s an e-book, on your Kindle, iPad, an audio book or in the traditional hardback and paperback versions, indulge in the format that you prefer.
The newness of the new year is such a refreshing time to embrace the essence of books and to learn more about their authors. National Book Blitz Month is a perfect time to get started and commit to the beauty of reading.