5 Features Beginners Need When Choosing a Blog Web Hosting Provider
When I went to purchase my first blog web hosting account, there was little information available about which features I needed. So I installed a blog on my hosting account the hard way. You have to remember, this was before video tutorials so the only way to get a blog was to install it yourself!
I personally uploaded the blog program to my hosting account, following the directions to install the MySql database and all the other nifty techie stuff I needed to make a blog work. Problem was, I'm not techie! It was not easy and it took me about two days to get it up and running.
Luckily, times and technology has changed. Many of today's blog web hosting providers offer one click installation of WordPress and other blogs. Today's technology has made it possible to have the whole process done in less than a minute. Wow, how times have changed!
Here are 5 Features you need to make sure that your blog web hosting provider includes before purchasing a hosting account.
1. CPanel – The blog web hosting provider you choose should have CPanel so you can easily maintain your blog. There are other companies like DreamHost, GoDaddy and 1and1 that have their own custom dashboards that work as easily as CPanel does.
2. Fantastico – This is an auto installation program that will install a number of programs and scripts for you with minimal effort. Often times with only a click of a button. It makes it really easy to set up a blog or personal website. Programs such as WordPress, bulletin boards, photo galleries and much more. Most web host provide Fantastico with CPanel, but not all.
3. Multiple Domain Hosting – If you're just looking to host a personal blog, then this will not matter to you. But if you're looking for easy web hosting so you can run multiple blogs or websites, then make sure the blog web hosting provider offers the ability to host multiple domains on one account. Some will only let you host 1 domain while other will allow you to host more than one.
4. Domain Registration – Although it's pretty easy to buy a domain in one place and then host you website in another, not everyone wants to fool with this. For this reason, you may want to make sure the blog web hosting provider you choose offers domain registration. What's even better is if the blog web hosting provider will give you a free domain for buying their web hosting services.
5. Customer Service – Before I sign up with any blog web hosting provider, I email the company and ask a few simple questions. I already know the answers to the questions before I send them. What I'm looking for is how quick they get back to me and how informative their answers are. This gives me an idea how well they take care of their customers.
Do not worry too much about storage space or bandwidth. If you're running a small to medium sized blog, chances are you'll never have to worry about this. It's no secret that web hosting providers over sell their server space. Even with this said, you should have few problems with most of the web hosting providers.
If you plan to upload a lot of files like these family photos, I'd host those files at a third party site and just link to them from your blog. Some of the better third party photo hosting services you could link to from your blog are Flickr, Picaso from Google and Photobucket.
There are many blog web hosting providers out there that currently offer all the features I listed above. Do your research and compare feature for feature before settling on a personal blog hosting account. If you select wisely, you'll have years of worry free service and enjoyable blogging experience.