10 Things You Must Do Before Moving in With Your Boyfriend
1. Talk about decorating. You’ll want to add your touch to his place, or add his touch to your place, but you don’t want to step on each others toes or create a home that isn’t visually appealing.
2. Put away anything you don’t want him to see. Maybe you have some embarrassing photos of old boyfriends, photos of you when your face had acne all over it, or when you weighed a little more than you want to admit you weighed. Get rid of them or box them up before you move in together.
3. Make a clear list of what furniture the two of you will use. Don’t wait until you have moved all your stuff in before decided your sofa needs to go in storage.
4. If you’re getting a new place together, make sure it’s big enough to hold both of your things. You don’t want to suddenly discover you can’t fit his large bed and your antique dresser in the bedroom.
5. Talk about pets. If you or he has animals, you’ll want to discuss what you’re going to do with them, especially if pets are not allowed in your new place.
6. Sit down with him and discuss finances — Who will pay what, etc? Are you going to combine bank accounts? Whose name will the utilities be in? Figuring all of this out before moving in together will make your moving in much smoother.
7. Clean out your closets. No, it won’t destroy your relationship if you don’t do this, but moving in with someone is a great time to go through and get rid of stuff you never use.
8. Have a contingency plan. You might move in with him only to decide to move out a month later because it is not working out. Have a place in mind to stay temporarily if living with him does not work out.
9. Plan for the future. If you think your moving in together is a prelude to marriage and you plan to start having kids right away, then you want to make sure that the home you move into will be big enough to accommodate your kids as well.
10. Work out a routine. Plan out how you will will handle chores around your house or apartment. What happens when you get home from work and there is no food to eat? Do you cook even when it is not your turn to cook or do you just do what makes sense — prepare something for both of you?
Remember that moving in with a guy you are not married to has its challenges. Discuss these ten points before you move in so that your life together will be spent building a more passionate and loving relationship. Good luck.